Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Chemistry Explanation

On Sunday, I was having contractions (not real ones) along with just pains. After it going on for several hours, the on-call doctor told me to go to the hospital to make sure I wasn't in labor. I wasn't - just dehydrated. Today my doctor told me why pregnant women who get dehydrated (even if its just a bit) can have contractions.

Apparently, the hormone oxytocin that causes you to have contractions is very similar to the hormone that signals your kidneys to hold water when you get a bit dehydrated (I can't remember the hormone name). These two hormones are almost identical - they only have one molecule that is different. As a result, pregnant women's bodies will mistake the dehydration hormone for oxytocin starting contractions. That's why if pregnant women just get a little dehydrated, they can have contractions. So my doctor told me the next time that happens, drink a whole bunch of water and wait to see if they stop.

Oh, I love chemistry!

And don't worry, I've been resting more and downing the water. I'm feeling much better today!

3 comments:

Jason and Erin said...

vasopressin, or ADH (anti-diuretic hormone)

Amanda said...

thanks : )

i knew you medical people would know

April said...

That's interesting. I didn't know that. I'm glad you are feeling better!