Thursday, January 10, 2008

Observations from a Big Pregnant Lady

1. Strangers, especially men, are usually very nice, polite, and friendly when they see that I'm pregnant.

2. It's still wierd though for a total stranger man to tell me, "Congratulations!" as he passes by, first looking at my tummy and then my face.

3. People can tell when you are tired of being pregnant. I guess they read the tiredness and pain on my face. Then they tell me about it.

4. Many people think that once you're close to your due date, all topics of conversation are fair game. Especially strangers or people you don't know well at all. My friend said, "It's like when you get married...some people think that all topics about sex are okay now to bring up."
i.e. their labor stories, how they were able to get labor going, wierd analogies of the birth, gross stories about the birth, questions if you will have an epidural and will you breastfeed, lectures about why they did what they did and why it's the best thing to do

5. People like to comment that I'm still pregnant. They also like to ask why I haven't had the kid yet or when I will.

6. Some people just don't know what to say, but feel they must say something. Hence, I had the following conversation today in the chemistry building:

A Chemistry Professor: There you are incubating. So you are really big.

Me: Uh, yeah. I'm due in 9 days.

The Chemistry Professor: Yeah, you're almost there. You're really big.

Me: Yeah, I think he'll be a big baby. Both Josh and I were big babies. We were around 9 lbs each.

The Chemistry Professor: That's like a cat! It's like you have a cat inside you.

Me: Uh, Yeah I guess. (As I decide it's time to walk away because who knows what I will be told next.)

The Chemistry Professor: Well, you really are big. (As he's following me .).....at least it's all in the front though.

Me: Uh, thanks. (I turn to the opposite direction.)

And that's my life with other chemists. (sigh)

5 comments:

April said...

How is it you have social skills when few of your Chemist friends do!?! Ha! Of course you are big...you're nine months pregnant!!

p.s. No offense to chemists...I love you all!

**JJ** said...

you have some of the strangest encounters with people.. and yes i agree with april you are really big cuz hello your due in 9 days!!!!! yea.. i can't wait!!! and yes, the miserableness reads on your face!! i know from experience!!!

Amanda said...

I should clarify that I know many social chemists...of course I write about my awkward encounters. I also think that the longer you are a chemist (or probably any scientist for that matter), the harder it is to be normal.

April said...

What if when someone told us how big we are we just responded by saying, "you've got quite the gut there yourself!" Ha ha... sometimes I would love to do that to see their reaction. :)

Amanda said...

and then add, "...at least I have a baby (or cat whichever is appropriate) inside me."

haha